Position Title: Network Specialist
Network Specialist, no remote work, in office only
The Unified School District of De Pere is seeking an experienced IT professional as a Network Specialist. This person will build, maintain, support, and optimize the District’s network systems. This position will identify, communicate, and resolve network technology issues. This position advises the Director of Technology on strategic matters of significance exercising independent judgement to secure and support the technical operations of the District and employing confidentiality and discretion regarding security and audit inquiries. This individual will also mentor and provide guidance to District Technology department staff members.
This is a full-time, year-round position to start as soon as possible. Hours are 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Monday – Friday and must have the ability to work after hours as needed for software/security patching and system upgrades. Salary based on experience, but likely in the $60,000 - $65,000 range. Excellent benefits including Wisconsin Retirement System.
Statement of Purpose, Goal:
Supports the district-wide initiative in developing exceptional use of educational technology through the maintenance of the District’s computing environment by identifying network requirements, installing upgrades, security patches and monitoring network performance.
Location: District – Wide Position
Reports To: Director of Technology
Supervises: May provide work direction to the Technology Support Technicians.
Network Specialist Skills and Qualifications
1. Associate degree in Network Administration or equivalent.
2. Three to five years of experience working in the Information Technology field.
3. Experience in Microsoft Server Operating Systems (2012, 2016, 2019, 2022).
4. Experience updating server applications.
5. Experience with Cloud solutions (Google Workspace, Azure).
6. Experience with managing and updating switches.
7. Experience with wireless networking.
8. Network Design and Implementation experience.
9. Experience with managing and updating Next Generation Firewalls.
10. Experience with Virtual Platforms (VMware, Nutanix).
11. Demonstrated problem solving ability.
12. Strategic planning experience.
13. Ability to multi-task.
14. Strong understanding of cyber security trends and patch management.
15. Strong technical understanding.
16. Demonstrated ability to quickly learn new concepts/is a quick study.
17. Strong technical zeal.
18. Ability to communicate effectively – both orally and in writing.
19. Demonstrated experience delivering service to end users with a strong customer service focus.
20. Lift and/or move up to 50 pounds such as technology and networking equipment. Position requires unrestricted mobility on a regular and consistent basis for the majority of the workday.
21. Ability to work after hours as needed for software/security patching and system upgrades.
Position Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
It is understood that individual positions covered by this job description may place significantly more emphasis on some duties over others
1. Establishes network specifications by conferring with users; by analyzing workflow, access, information, and security requirements; and by designing router administration including interface configuration and routing protocols.
2. Establishes network by evaluating network performance issues including availability, utilization, throughput, and latency; by planning and executing the selection, installation, configuration, and testing of equipment; by defining network policies and procedures; and by establishing connections and firewalls.
3. Maintains network performance by performing network monitoring and analysis and performance tuning, by troubleshooting network problems, and by escalating problems to vendor.
4. Secures network by developing secure network access, monitoring, patching, evaluation and by maintaining documentation.
5. Prepares users by designing and conducting training programs and by providing references and support.
6. Upgrades networks by conferring with vendors and by developing, testing, evaluating, and installing enhancements.
7. Meets financial requirements by submitting information for budgets and monitoring expenses.
8. Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, by reading professional publications, by maintaining personal networks, and by participating in professional organizations
9. Protects the District’s values by keeping information confidential
10. Accomplishes District goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests and by exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
11. All other duties as assigned.
12. In addition to the above, the Unified School District of DePere and its staff are committed to supporting work groups and work teams. Part of the qualifications and responsibilities of each position is the support of other team members and their duties, functions and responsibilities.
13. The employee shall remain free of any alcohol or illegal substance in the workplace in compliance with Policy 3122.01 throughout their employment in the District.
This description indicates the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be given this position and job title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind of level of difficulty. Board policy and federal law require that student records and personal information about students gained while as part of one’s employment is strictly confidential. Maintaining confidentiality is a strict condition of employment.
To apply please select the Apply Now Button