Chief Technical Officer
Chief Technical Officer
State of Connecticut, Judicial Branch
The State of Connecticut Judicial Branch is seeking a Chief Technical Officer (Chief Enterprise Technologist) for the Information Technology Division.
The successful candidate will develop short, medium, and long-term technology visionaries based on the Judicial Branch’s organizational priorities. Focusing on security administration, the chosen candidate will provide thoughtful leadership with respect to next generation technologies and trends in the industry.
The chosen candidate will be instrumental in the design and development of the Judicial Branch’s highly complex Information Technology (IT) Environment offering senior level technical support. This position is responsible for providing technical vision in a variety of functions such as Messaging, Active Directory, Identity Management, Network, Platform, and a major emphasis on Operations Security, The successful candidate will assist the Judicial Branch with onboarding to Microsoft Azure, Azure Active directory, on premise Active Directory forests/domains and the Microsoft Exchange / Exchange Online / OneDrive / SharePoint electronic mail and calendaring platform within the Judicial Branch. The selected candidate will assist with the tuning and optimization of the Exchange online and on-premise environment ensuring email security and provide high-level support with migration activities and problem resolution. Also, in scope, is providing migration and support of a Microsoft identity management infrastructure in collaboration with Microsoft Azure to fulfill the access and authentication requirements of users for the Judicial Branch. The selected candidate will manage and supervise technical staff and oversee project teams as needed. The candidate will make recommendations on product usage and investment for the Judicial branch. The chosen candidate will design and oversee implementation of cross-functional solution architecture of all technologies involving network, cybersecurity, and identity management platforms.
Qualified candidates will have extensive experience in:
- Microsoft Azure cloud technologies and services.
- Cyber security products to detect threat actors in the organization.
- Security focused programs to ensure the organization is prepared to protect, detect, respond, and recover from a cyber-attack.
- Promoting best practices, implement, and maintain critical security controls, supporting processes and procedures.
- Expert level Windows 2019/2016 Active directory and domain controller design, implementation, and administration with a focus on security.
- Expert level health and performance monitoring of an Exchange Online/Microsoft Exchange environment and all its components and interfaces. Take preventive or corrective action as needed to maintain system availability and performance standards.
- Expert level architecture planning and migration for existing Microsoft Identity manager 2016 codeless environment to new hardware following all best practices from Microsoft.
- Expert level knowledge in administering Windows Defender for identity, Windows Defender ATP, troubleshooting Office 365 issues and AADConnect.
- Expert level knowledge on deploying and architecting Windows Intune, System center configuration manager.
- Monitoring logs, message flows, queues, quotas, storage, and other resources taking appropriate preventive or corrective action as needed.
- Managing and administering the e-mail data stores and database availability groups (DAGs) to deliver optimal performance and availability.
- Responding to escalated helpdesk tickets, resolve system and user problems, and provide assistance as needed.
- Audit, test, schedule and install patches using SCCM and other operating system components as well as upgrades to Exchange servers as needed.
- Administering MIM 2016, Microsoft Exchange and Active Directory high availability, disaster recovery, backup, and restoration of the entire system as well as individual components such as files and end user mailboxes.
- Expert level knowledge in managing XDR solutions like Palo Alto CORTEX, Windows defender ATP for servers/workstations and MalwareBytes antivirus products.
- Working in CritSit (critical situation) such as data breach, malware/ransomware attack and disaster recovery with minimal or no supervision.
- Taking proactive steps in ensuring branch’s cyber security initiatives are implemented.
- Managing and contributing towards branch-wide standards for IT.
- Participating in on-call after-hours support rotation to ensure that critical performance issues are resolved, and security events and incidents are addressed in a timely manner, in accordance with internal SLAs.
Proficiencies, Qualifications and Certifications preferred:
- 12+ years of Expert level direct hands-on Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange, and Microsoft Identity management experience.
- 5+ years of Microsoft Azure/ Office 365 cloud and security technologies.
- 5+ years of Microsoft identity manager, SCCM and email security experience.
- Strong understanding of SMTP e-mail flow and related transport/DNS configuration.
- Experience auditing and setting up access request and file share access for file servers.
- Scripting experience in languages such as PowerShell.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to work independently as well as with others, with minimal supervision.
- Adhere to change management, incident management and problem management practices to ensure all activities are executed as per process.
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert.
- Azure / O365 certifications.
- Microsoft 365 Certified Messaging Administrator Associate.
- Microsoft Exchange 2016 certification.
- Technical understanding of enterprise network, cloud, and security concepts.
- Hands on experience with monitoring tools and analyze resources to track user activity, provide warnings of system vulnerabilities and provide system performance information in accordance with the Judicial branch cybersecurity plans and policies.
- Experience with Monitoring and oversight of data backup secure vault, archival and system recovery processes for functional testing and cybersecurity compliance across cross-functional systems and products.
In addition to the preferred qualifications, the successful candidate must have a positive attitude; proficient verbal skills; a collaborative approach to working in a close team environment; willingness to assist and share knowledge with peers and subordinates; strong writing skills, submitting reports, proposals, and postmortem analyses.
Upon satisfactory completion of the initial probationary period, hybrid remote work may be available.
Salary Range: $129,362 - $168,409/year – plus State of Connecticut benefits.
New employees begin at the minimum. The starting salary for existing state employees may be higher than the minimum, in accordance with existing Judicial Branch policy.
The State of Connecticut Judicial Branch offers its employees a top notch array of health and retirement benefits including but not limited to: paid holidays, vacation, sick and personal leave, group life insurance, 457 Deferred Compensation, voluntary flexible spending account programs, discounted auto and home insurance policies and long and short term disability.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
General Experience: Twelve (12) years of experience in information technology (IT), programming, systems/software development or another IT related field demonstrating a growing and broadening base of knowledge and experience.
Special Experience: Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been at the expert working level with responsibility for performing a full range of highly complex technical support functions.
1) College training in management information systems, computer science, electrical engineering or information technology related area may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equaling six (6) months of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor’s degree.
2) A Master’s degree in management information systems, computer science, electrical engineering or information technology related area may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
3) Relevant certification in management information systems, computer science, electrical engineering or information technology related area may be substituted for up to six (6) months of the general experience.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Incumbents may be required to travel within the State in the course of their daily work.
Applications must be received by August 15, 2022. Applications must be submitted through the on-line application site at: (CLICK BELOW). Resumes or paper applications will not be accepted.
Careers at the Branch play an essential role for the public and society. Our meaningful, challenging, and interesting positions have a long-lasting effect that serves to advance justice and ultimately provides for the greater good of all.
Please reference posting number 22-4000-023