Software Engineering Manager
Job Title: Software Engineering Manager
Company: Government Scientific Source (GSS)
Location: Reston, VA (Hybrid)
About Government Scientific Source (GSS):
Are you ready to make a significant impact in the field of scientific research? Join the team at GSS, the leading distributor of cutting-edge scientific equipment, instruments, and laboratory supplies to federal, state, and local government agencies. At GSS, we're passionate about empowering scientific missions and revolutionizing the way research is conducted. Be part of a dynamic company that fosters innovation and facilitates advancements in federal research.
The Software Engineering Manager will lead and manage our software development team, ensuring the successful execution of projects, including maintenance of coding standards, documentation of processes, thorough adherence to SDLC best practices, and the growth of GSS team members. This role requires a seasoned engineering management professional with excellent technical and managerial skills to drive the team’s performance and contribute to the overall success of our company.
- Provide technical guidance, leadership, and coaching to a team of 5-8 software engineers, focusing on database programming and web development, and oversee recruitment of new talent as necessary.
- Conduct thorough code reviews and implement standards to ensure the overall quality of the codebase.
- Develop metrics to identify and minimize technical debt.
- Participate in scooping company projects, anticipating and advising on potential challenges that could impact timelines.
- Identify potential risks in projects and strategies to mitigate them.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to translate business requirements into technical requirements, establishing a strong network of cross-functional collaboration within the organization.
- Oversee the software development lifecycle (SDLC), from design and implementation to testing and deployment, as well as effectively manage team priorities and resource allocation to ensure timely and high-quality delivery of project solutions.
- Evaluate internal resources and third-party software to help develop metrics and minimize technical debt.
- Act as a technical escalation point, providing insight and assistance in resolving complex technical challenges.
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement, innovation, and knowledge sharing, both within the team and across the company.
- Conduct performance evaluations, identify areas of growth, and facilitate professional performance plans.
- Stay abreast of emerging technologies to stay current with new practices.
Required Education, Experience, and Skills:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related field.
- Five (5) or more years of proven experience in a managerial, supervisory, or team lead role, showcasing strong leadership and people management skills.
- Proven experience in software development, with a strong grasp of software engineering principles, including SDLC best practices.
- Strong interpersonal, problem-solving, analytical, and communication skills, dealing with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Knowledge of high-level programming languages such as: C#, Java, and HTML.
- Experience with Agile methodologies and project management tools, including Jira and/or GitHub.
- Experience with enterprise platforms, especially Microsoft Dynamics Nav or Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central.
- Experience designing, developing, and/or managing e-commerce solutions, and optimizing online shopping experiences, particularly in EDI and cXML B2B frameworks.
Must be eligible to work in the United States.
Government Scientific Source (“GSS”) is a covered federal contractor or subcontractor subject to the requirements of the Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA), as amended, and Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. As such, GSS is bound by the terms of VEVRAA and Section 503, and shall not discriminate against individuals with disabilities, and is committed to take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
It is the policy of Government Scientific Source (“GSS”) to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
GSS offers excellent benefits including health insurance, FSA/DCA, 100% company paid life and disability insurance, 401(k), profit sharing, PTO, tuition reimbursement, flexible schedule, onsite fitness room and more!
Ready to embark on an extraordinary journey with Government Scientific Source? Unleash your potential by joining our team of distribution pioneers. To begin your application process, submit your resume showcasing your relevant experience and highlighting why you're drawn to Government Scientific Source.
Note: We receive a high volume of applications and can only respond to shortlisted candidates. Thank you for considering Government Scientific Source as your launching pad for a thrilling career.