Network/Systems Administration Specialist
This is highly technical work with responsibility for analyzing, maintenance, repair and advancement of the college's network infrastructure. It requires a good understanding of networking structure, basic and advanced protocols, routers, switches and operating systems and the ability to troubleshoot network problems. An employee in this position is responsible for helping to maintain the college network backbone and all of its components and provide assistance to users with regard to the network structure. This person will also work closely with the Director, Network and Security to assure that all required network functions are working as designed at all times. An employee in this position is also responsible for the planning, deployment, monitoring, and maintenance of the college physical and virtual computer servers and their associated network and storage infrastructure.Examples of Duties
(Note: The following examples of work as listed in this job description are not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the classification. The omission of specific statements does not preclude management from assigning specific duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position.)
- Maintain and install routers, switches, servers, and other network related equipment.
- Review logs and keep software up to date (service packs and security updates).
- Create and maintain a disaster recovery, security, and back up and restore plan and policy in collaboration with the Manager, Network and Security and the Chief Information Officer.
- Keep abreast of new software programs and software upgrades coming on the market.
- Assist in the re-configuration of college machines to accept new software, and/or help restructure the way in which a machine functions so that it is more efficient.
- Evaluate PC hardware and software needs. Assist with preparation of purchase requisitions.
- Communicate with vendors to solve problems and perform upgrades.
- Support PC technicians in diagnosing and troubleshooting PC and printer problems.
- Monitor and troubleshoot the performance of college servers and their associated infrastructure.
- Monitor and troubleshoot network problems and perform routine network administrative tasks. Perform installation of upgrades to network/server equipment and software.
- Due to the scope of responsibility of this position and the need for the College to communicate both during the weekday and after regular work hours, the employee must possess a cell phone and provide the number to Human Resources, the immediate supervisor, the Chief Information Officer, and the Vice President.
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related marginal duties as required.)Minimum Qualifications
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
Must possess good oral and written communications skills. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with department officials and other employees.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
B.S. in Computer Science or related field, including courses in network administration or a related degree, or equivalent experience. Minimum of seven years of experience with network and server administration.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS:
Acceptable eye sight (with or without correction).
Acceptable hearing (with or without correction).
Ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
Light to moderate lifting (mostly PC and network equipment).
Use of fingers.
Works inside most of the time. Job is transient in that most of work is outside own office but confined to college owned and operated sites.
(Reasonable accommodations will be made in accordance with existing ADA requirements for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.)Supplemental Information
Florida Gateway College does not discriminate in education or employment related decisions on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, gender, religion, disability, age, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or any other legally protected status in accordance with the law.
Florida Gateway College offers a benefit package to full-time employees.